April 5, 2012

Mirror Mirror

Tonight, as the older boys got ready for bed, Jet came up to me and asked, "Why did God make us so we can't see our own faces?"

I tousled Jet's hair and said, "Huh..I don't know." Which is how I answer most of Jet's deeply thought out questions.

Lesson 148: knowing your 7 year old is probably smarter than you = white trash

After they were in bed and fast asleep, the twins woke up and wanted fed. As they ate, I ogled them, as I often do, amazed that I produced two human beings at the same time. Jet's question crossed my mind, because I thought how the twins would be able to look at each other and get a good idea of what they looked like. "Good thing the rest of us have mirrors," I thought to myself. Then I stopped. Is it? I thought of all the hours of my life I have wasted standing in front of those stupid things cringing at zits, looking at gray hairs, obsessing over my laugh lines that never go away now, or watching myself dance to MC Hammer......ok, well that was pretty awesome, but the other stuff is just plain sad.

That's when it hit me. Jet was on to something. (Like always) God doesn't care what we look like. He made us this way because we shouldn't care either. I then thought about all the times I've shrunk away from who I really am because the other person looked so incredibly young and vibrant, my Crypt-keeping face made me feel inferior. I should always be everything God wants me to be, but I shy away because of what I saw in a man-made object produced for vanity. How pathetic.

After I put the twins back in bed, I walked into the bathroom. It was the end to a very trying day, but I had come out victorious. I looked up and glanced at my reflection in the mirror. Damp stringy hair, a make-up-less face, yoga pants, and an unbecoming oversized t-shirt stared back from baggy eyes. Not the appearance of a great warrior princess, but that's what I felt like on the inside, and I'm sure that's the way God wants me to think I look. I smiled at the hag in the mirror and walked away....warrior princess it is! :)

2 comments:

  1. jamie johnstonApril 07, 2012

    I love this its just what i think at the end of the day! look out xena the johnston girls are right on your ass. lelelelelelelele! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy TarcsonApril 17, 2012

    This particular blog of yours is the first time you made me cry instead of laugh. You are truly a special person, Jess, with a wonderful, beautiful spirit. God has blessed you abundantly, not only with a great husband and kids, but with a heart that is humble and grateful. You must make Him very pleased. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete